“JUNE’S FARMS, FOOD, AND FRIENDS DINNER HUGE SUCCESS” By Julie Watters
If you made it to the June Farms, Food, and Friends dinner hosted at Garner Farms, then you already know what a fantastic time we had! Mother Nature shared her beautiful rain with us (thankfully, we were under cover!), and 53 people braved the elements to eat fresh, local food and enjoy the company of others who care about sustainable food practices. As always, the food was amazing and the conversations were intriguing. It was incredible to see so many people gathered together to provide information on - or learn about – current efforts surrounding the local food movement. For a little extra fun, we had an informal taste test of two types of Garner Farms corn, Devotion and Obsession.
As a reminder, these farms / farmers -- and many more -- are listed on our website: CarteretLocalFood.org.
The Farms, Food, and Friends dinners are held every other month. Our next dinner will be held on Sunday, August 27th, at Underground Farm, 1586 Highway 101 in Beaufort. Make your reservation now. Don’t miss it! You’ll be glad you came.
As the demonstration and training farm of the Carteret Local Food Network, Underground Farm and Learning Center is a nonprofit dedicated to sustainable practices run by our faithful staff and volunteers. If you want to get involved, we have volunteer opportunities!
Click here for other fun and delicious events on our website.
- Our photographer for the evening was Greg Meares.
- Our chef was Jennings Wright (and her able assistant, Chuck Wright) from The Accidental Bakery in Beaufort. They shared their recipe for the Down East Boil. The Accidental Bakery also provided grits and biscuits and their delightfully delectable blueberry cupcakes with lemon cream frosting! Stop by the Bakery and try some – you won’t be disappointed!
- The peach ice cream from Garner Farms was the perfect complement to the cupcakes. Also sourced from Garner Farms were a multitude of veggies including eggplant, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, squash and corn. Sherri Garner made the very tasty appetizers with all fresh ingredients from her farm stand cooler. The dinner tables were decorated with beautiful flower arrangements picked fresh from the farm!
- The pork sausage links came from Tim and Deborah Lockey at the Shoe Branch Farm in Newport.
- The shrimp were from Joe and Sue Darden at Darden Seafood in Beaufort.